Bored with reinvention of the superficial kind?

So are we here at Troppo – not to mention Nicole and Etihad.

Whenever Rooter and the Merc are flown anywhere, they insist on flying Etihad First Class.

This entry was posted in Bargains. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Bored with reinvention of the superficial kind?

1. Ken Parish says:

With due regard to the inherent nobility of commercial endeavour, I can’t help wondering whether “our” Nicole has ever taken the time, while reimagining” air travel, to also “reimagine” human rights in the UAE whose rulers own Etihad …

2. Douglas says:

“…insist on flying Etihad First Class.” And end up walking or swimming?

3. Crocodile Chuck says:

She’s better in this than ‘BMX Bandits’!

4. I see from the airline’s website that Nicole is advertising the class of travel they describe as “The Residences” –

With a living room, separate bedroom and ensuite bathroom, The Residence by Etihad is the only three-room suite in the sky.

The living room has a luxurious Poltrona Frau leather double-seat sofa with ottoman, two dining tables, chilled drinks cabinet and 32-inch flat screen TV.

Yes, you too can now fly in your own 3 room apartment with shower and have breakfast in bed. I trust the butler knocks discretely before entering.
    Anyhow, I see the cost of a one way fare at this class from Sydney to London comes in at about $7842 – I actually expected a little higher.
    But it’s funny, isn’t it, how there would be so few couples willing to pay $30,000 on the return airfare alone. The advertising is a more well produced version of the old “James, Taihiti looks nice” ad for soap: luxury by proxy for those stuck in economy who at least can think “Maybe Nicole or George is being pampered upstairs right now!”

5. Nicholas Gruen says:

God knows I try to be generous on this blog but I am at a loss to imagine the bad faith behind the meanness of some, indeed all, of the comments above. I think it’s fairly clear that it is sour grapes from those who have failed to reinvent themselves in anything but a superficial way.

• Crocodile Chuck says:

“..all of the comments above”:

Hey, I thought my ‘zinger’ was funny!

• Nicholas Gruen says:

Yes CC,

My apologies. You have been wrongly accused.

However there is animus to Nicole in your answer, so I’m thinking that it’s possible that you did try to reinvent yourself, at one stage or another but nevertheless found – no doubt to your dismay – that the reinvention was superficial.

6. paul walter says:

I agree with Ken. Tacky. All a monument to inauthenticity, narcissism and botoxed image formation at different levels. I suppose Nic, already worth hundreds of $millions apparently, got paid enough to keep thousands of poor families in food for a year in an attempt to appeal to the low, gloating snob mentality the ad is aimed at.

7. Nicholas Gruen says:

“Inauthenticity, narcissism and botoxed image formation” perhaps, but no-one could accuse the add of being superficial. Surely?

8. paul walter says:

The values it represents are imho as I described. The amount of money likely wasted on it could have fed quite a few thousand poor people, as I said above, but the ad reinforces so much of the petty snobbery, class consciousness and entitlement outlook that causes such inequalities in the first place, unless I’m mistaken.

But, since you attempt to be generous at this blog, you will no doubt respond in a spirit of mellow tolerance to my naive curiosity as to the underlying values that the ad reflects.