Copying Quiggers

You’ll see from a glance at the sidebar that I’ve implemented a “Most recently commented posts” category, using code kindly supplied by John Quiggin. Like John, I’m hoping that this innovation will tend to promote more considered, reflective comment box debate over an extended duration. Without it, blog debates have an irritating tendency to peter out at a fairly superficial level, simply because posts rapidly sink down the front page to a point where few readers bother to scroll down and check. The new sidebar feature is intended to alert you to the fact that there are often active (and frequently very interesting) debates still going on further down the page than the first handful of posts.

About Ken Parish

Ken Parish is a legal academic, with research areas in public law (constitutional and administrative law), civil procedure and teaching & learning theory and practice. He has been a legal academic for almost 20 years. Before that he ran a legal practice in Darwin for 15 years and was a Member of the NT Legislative Assembly for almost 4 years in the early 1990s.
This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.
Gianna
2021 years ago

fyi – it’s nearly impossible to see the commenter’s name in that dark blue (or is that intentional?)

Ken Parish
Ken Parish
2021 years ago

Thanks Gianna. Is anyone else’s browser displaying the commenter’s name etc in dark blue text?? It was doing that originally in my IE browser, and I went in and changed the sidebar text colour in the stylesheet to white (or rather “CCC”). That fixed the problem in IE, but it’s possible that some other browsers don’t cope as well with cascading stylesheets. Or maybe there’s some other reason. Any hints from our IT gurus?

Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2021 years ago

I think it’s more turquoise than dark blue – or azure maybe…

Whatever,it seems to provide me with an ample sufficiency of clarity.

“Active debate” is delightfully understated Ken. It’s a bit like the DMZ on Kim Jong Il’s birthday in a couple of places there…I think I’ll have to restrict myself to commenting at a fairly superficial level.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish

Geoff,

Yes, I timed the innovation badly, to coincide with a particularly unproductive spat between Norman and CS (mind you it’s not quite as silly, childish or ill-tempered as the current squabble between T1 and T2). Believe it or not, there have actually been numerous interesting comment box posts well down the page, even at earlier stages of the Windschuttle saga.

BTW (on the sidebar font colour thing), what browser do you use? The text looks fine in IE (and white). It’s even white in an old Netscape (4.07) browser I’ve got loaded here, although it renders other aspects of the page very strangely indeed. With a bit of luck Bailz or Scott Wickstein or some other expert will drop by and tell me what the problem is. It’s a complete mystery to me. Fortunately 90% of the world uses IE, and those who conscientiously object are usually aware that their choice probably involves a browser that will do strange things. I object to Bill Gates’ effective monopoly as well, but sadly his browser is much better and more reliable than most of the other choices (including Netscape and Opera) for most purposes IMO.

Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2021 years ago

I generally use Opera for browsing but IE when I post on TA. For some reason the italics/url thingos don’t come up on MT edit in Opera.

I can confirm that the sidebar comments do come out white in IE – well, more grey perhaps, but that’s, without doubt, more a searing indictment of my monitor cleanliness.

woodsy
woodsy
2021 years ago

Beaudy Ken, I now know how to make anything I write attract more comments by having my blogs at the ‘top of the table’. Whenever my stuff gets lost at the bottom of the page, I’ll simply make some stupid comment and, Hey Presto!! back to the tott.

Can you believe the bullshit that’s going on on both T1 and T2’s blogs? I bet it’ll be a while before Gianna comments again.

cs
cs
2021 years ago

All looks excellent to me Ken, and I think that’s about all I better say.

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Are any of you IE experts able to throw any light on why the comments window will only open to quarter-screen on my system, with the maximize button at the top right not being clickable to allow the expansion of the window to full screen? I don’t have this problem with Opera, as the maximize button works on that browser. The result is I really have to use Opera if I want to do any serious comment reading or writing on Troppo Armadillo.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish

Ron,

If you remember, you made the same request when I began the first TA on MT, and I got Mark Gallagher to fix it for me. I have no idea how to do it myself. I don’t want to harrass him again, but maybe he or some other guru will stumble across this discussion and tell me how to fix the problem.

cs
cs

Ron,

I get, and have always got, the same result. Yet, if I click on the link to “continue reading” for the longer pieces, or alternatively, the actual time on which a piece has been posted – eg, in the case of this very post, go to: “Posted by Ken Parish at [and click on the actual time following]11:42 PM” – then I get the full screen. Could be worth a try.

Yobbo
Yobbo
2021 years ago

Ken, Where did you snatch the code for that feature? I’d like to stick something similar on my blog.

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Thanks Chris. Clicking the time works like a charm. The comments continue on after the continuation bits anyway and clicking the time on the shorter pieces produces the same result.

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Chris’s solution solves my problem for practical purposes. But for you computer geniuses out there is still the academic problem of the inactive maximize button. I can’t help thinking there is must be some options box somewhere deep in the guts of the system that has to be ticked. But I guess you’d have to be a bit pedantic now to worry about it.

Gianna
2021 years ago

woodsy, ‘fraid i don’t geddit.

mark
2021 years ago

Ken, not a problem — Uni doesn’t start ’till tomorrow :-).

&#165 &#157

mark
2021 years ago

Ken, not a problem — Uni doesn’t start ’till tomorrow :-).

¥ 

mark
2021 years ago

By which I mean, of course, go check your email.