Complacent gloating for fun and profit

Blogger Paul Watson, whose work I greatly admire, has a chip on his shoulder. He sees himself as a “Generation Xer” whose opportunities in life have been circumscribed by the self-centred hedonism of the babyboomer generation that preceded him. It’s a repetive theme on Paul’s blog. This otherwise excellent analysis of the current Australian housing market situation, for instance, is a typical example of a self-pitying Gen X rant.

I’ve been meaning to wave a blogospherical red rag in front of Paul’s early middle age bull for some time, but now I don’t have to. A SMH letters correspondent named John Little has put in the hard yards on behalf of all us boomers, and I need only endorse and reproduce his sentiments:

As a baby boomer who has lived it to the hilt, I love seeing letters from Generation Xers and other less fortunate cohorts scolding us for our amoral and profligate lifestyles (Letters, August 16-17).

They remind me of the carload of dags who arrived too late at the party and missed all the fun. Sure the house got trashed and someone had to foot the bill, but boy, did we have a good time.

And if it’s any consolation to these young fogeys and wowsers, most of us won’t give two hoots about superannuation shortfalls.

We’ll just flick another investment property.

About Ken Parish

Ken Parish is a legal academic, with research areas in public law (constitutional and administrative law), civil procedure and teaching & learning theory and practice. He has been a legal academic for almost 20 years. Before that he ran a legal practice in Darwin for 15 years and was a Member of the NT Legislative Assembly for almost 4 years in the early 1990s.
This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.
Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2022 years ago

But what of “The Block”? A show about real estate junkie GenX’ers, by GenX’ers for GenX’ers? Paul might conceivably count this as a terrible and satisfying revenge – Channel 9 is apparently deluged with international offers to buy the concept. The only thing standing in the way of a toast to the new GenX Venality is the fact that the ultimate beneficiary – Kerry Packer – is so old and so rich that he’s [gasp] pre-boomer! How gross is that?

mark
2022 years ago

Boomers don’t tend to worry me that much (ask me again when I’ve got a job and have started paying for you bastards), but the “when I was your age, I had to walk to university for ten miles uphill in the snow. And we didn’t even HAVE a university back then, it was just a sheep-pen where we shovelled shit for three days every hour until the policeman thought we deserved our drivers’ licences,” and other such stories of hardship/school of hard knocks superiority really bug me.

I don’t s’pose you could use the Secret Boomer Communication Network to tell everyone I know over the age of 45 to cut it out?

wen
wen
2022 years ago

My boomer parents are far more likely to point out the fact that they have never suffered at all.

Why, at my age they owned their own home outright, as well as two rental properties, employed 200 men, had his’n’her Jags, holidayed overseas annually, and could afford to send their children to decent private schools (being good socialists, however, they kept the money).

Their gen-x children, however, were made to walk 10 ks uphill to school, in snow, without shoes, every day – good for our health, y’know!

wen
wen
2022 years ago

Hmm, think I might turn that into a song.

Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2022 years ago

wen, take my advice and get Dolly Parton to record it…oh….I think she already has….

Paul Watson
2022 years ago

Ken, thanks for your (chip-caveated) compliments on my blogging. While I don’t want to spoil or over-react to the jocular tone of your post, and the comments so far, I fail to get the point, much less the ostensible humour, in John Little’s letter. “Young fogeys and wowsers?”

Observa
Observa
2022 years ago

Ozzie baby boomers might be taking a bum rap for much of the recent increase in Oz real estate prices. Q. How much of the increase could be attributed to overseas investors waking up to the fact that Oz prices have been relatively cheap cf the ‘old capital’ countries? An interesting exercise might be to cook up a comparison table of median house and apartment prices for Sydney, NY, London, etc expressed in terms of No. of Big Macs it costs in those cities. Perhaps overseas investors have woken up that Oz real estate is dirt cheap. Also to what extent has terrorism made Oz real estate more attractive to the world’s baby boomers(or their Super/managed Funds)? Conventional wisdom has it that our house/unit prices are set for a big correction after such a dramatic surge. However, maybe the real estate agents are right as they cry ‘hold on to your deposits kids, you aint seen nuthin yet. Just thank your lucky stars you don’t live in Tokyo!’

Patrick
2022 years ago

Tokyo? Try Beijing or Jakarta. There are a lot of highly dubious riches in those places looking for a safe bolthole for if (when) the manure hits the ventilator.

All the real estate investors I’m seeing are coming from places like that.

Paul Watson
2022 years ago

Crikey, from the sounds of Patrick’s comment, it would seem that Philip Ruddock’s diary must be full, until 2006 at least, with Liberal party fundraising dinners, all brimming with business visa supplicants, sorry, APP-licants.

Mork
Mork
2022 years ago

Fuck, I’m sick of hearing about real estate (reading about it in newspapers, having nothing to watch on TV because there’s only real estate shows on … )

If you want to see some real gloating, look me up after the bubble bursts. I’m saving up already.

Michael Jennings
2022 years ago

Just thank your lucky stars you don’t live in Tokyo!

Well, I’ll thank my luck stars I didn’t buy real estate in Tokyo in 1990, in any event.

Halifax Real Estate Agent
2022 years ago

I am new to the internet and I did a search in the search engines on a “real estate blog” and I found your web blog. Let me introduce myself, I am a Halifax Real Estate Agent in Nova Scotia, Canada and I was told that blogs were discussions on specific topics which made me interested in searching for a real estate blog. It seemed like an interesting way to see what trends and technology are happening in the real estate market in other parts of the world besides Halifax. I am considering a blog for myself if I can understand the technology of operating a blog and from what I see I am somewhat hesitant right now even though it was interesting reading.

Respectfully yours
James B. ,
A Halifax Real Estate Agent

trackback

The generation game

Ken Parish has been playing the generation game (in this case, Baby Boomer vs Gen X) with Paul Watson an avid boomer-basher. A good time was had by all, as usual. I don’t want to interrupt anyone’s fun, but I…