Happy Nude Year!

It’s the preferred seasonal salutation of Aussie naturists apparently and since I’m not far off being nude at the mo’ myself – no, it’s purely climate induced, and there is no link – it’s kind of appropriate.

It’s a while since I blogged. Indeed, as Wendy James might rightfullly observe, it’s a while since any bloody Troppo contibutor other than she, has bloody well blogged. This ostensibly group effort has been held together pretty much through the solo efforts of the Austen of Armidale, for whose writerly presence we should be profoundly grateful.

“And what of Judge Parish?” I hear you cry. What indeed? Troppo remains very much Ken’s singular creation and his presence is sorely missed. His measured, centrist gravitas; his pyromaniacal tendency in relation to the History Wars; those Gauguinesque canvasses depicting the fascinating true horror of life in Darwin; his encyclopaedic grasp of champerty – all this, and more, we miss.

He’s had good reasons for not blogging but who cares about that? The year has turned, the Iowa caucuses bear down upon us, Britney Spears has just demonstrated how sacred an institution marriage really is and Steve Irwin has been caught dangling a helpless croc within striking distance of a savage, one month old baby, apparently. All this and the ALP conference too! You’d wonder how he could resist…..I know I can’t.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.
David Tiley
2021 years ago

I have sensed it, you know, and I am sure your readers across the country would echo this. We feel your pain, the determination, the sheer gut grinding commitment you have had to deploy in order to NOT BLOG. To stay away from that damned machine. To pay attention to those pathetic creatures, actual human beings. To acknowledge your family. We know you have been strong. We salute you for it. We are glad you have returned.

Seriously, I hope you had a good break.

David Tiley
2021 years ago

p.s. – where’s that Suzy Kruhse? She is great. Lucid and provocative and insightful.

cs
cs
2021 years ago

About time Geoff. Oh, and Happy Nude Year!

wen
wen

Phew!

( someone else is blogging; home out of that bloody heat; the croc survived – there’s just so much to phew about…)

Happy newd year to you!

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Ah, signs of life! And just as I was about to delete TA from my Favourites list.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish

Geoff,

If you were trying to make me feel guilty, you succeeded. Unfortunately, best laid plans of mice and men etc. Although I’m working on Law School website updating and developing external degree program online resources, I also now have a sudden and unexpected commitment to getting back into a middle-aged tropical version of “The Block”. The tenant in the only unrenovated unit in our biggest investment property has decided she wants to move into one of the renovated units, so I have to take the opportunity to renovate her old unit while it’s vacant. I also have to finish painting the exterior so new guttering and downpipes can be fitted. The result is bugger-all time for blogging. It’s also proving a fairly stressful exercise for various other reasons.

The bottom line? Probably a continued dry blogging spell from me for another couple of weeks. It also means I won’t be travelling “down south” as previously foreshadowed (though we’re still sending Rebecca down to stay with the rellies in Sydney), Nevertheless, I might yet manage to escape for 10 days or so in early February.

David Tiley
2021 years ago

In DARWIN? In the WET SEASON? That is true determination..

Homer Paxton
Homer Paxton

I echo Ron’s comments.

wen
wen
2021 years ago

Gee – thanks Ron, Homer … (sniff)

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Sorry I’ve hurt your feelings, Wendy.

Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2021 years ago

“Make you feel guilty,” Ken? Never crossed my mind. This Darwin Block thing sounds most interesting. Would probably make great TV….

wen
wen
2021 years ago

that’s ok, Ron. I’ll have my revenge. Next time I’m stuck for a name for a really villainous character – will it be Ron Paxton? or perhaps Homer Mead. Hmmmm.

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

Heavens above, Wendy, Homer and I aren’t that close (except geographically). Actually having Homer echoing my comments (above) was a bit of a culture shock. Not as much as agreement from that other fellow (what’s his name, again?) would have been, but a shock nevertheless. I’ve to get up to speed again in this commenting game!

Homer Paxton
Homer Paxton
2021 years ago

Ron, I have been waiting to have coffee and every time I ask for the man who has leather patches on his sports jacket carrying the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand they tell me he has alreadt left!!

Wendy we maybe outliers in the people who look at the blog so don’t worry.

Ron Mead
Ron Mead
2021 years ago

That was Malcolm Fraser, Homer, and yes he “left” a long time ago – jacket patches intact but trouserless.

Homer Paxton
Homer Paxton
2021 years ago

like john Howard I don’t believe Malcolm ever read Ayn at all.
I am still waiting Ron!
Wendy the only fiction I read is LOrd of the Rings followed by the Duine series and then first amongst Equals at Christmas.
I ama non-fiction man except when I read Annual reports or Liberal/ALP election programs.

Feel free to use my name as a villian any time.