New style

A change is as good as a holiday, they say. But a change and a holiday as well is even better. Non-abusive feedback on the new style is welcome.

About Ken Parish

Ken Parish is a legal academic, with research areas in public law (constitutional and administrative law), civil procedure and teaching & learning theory and practice. He has been a legal academic for almost 20 years. Before that he ran a legal practice in Darwin for 15 years and was a Member of the NT Legislative Assembly for almost 4 years in the early 1990s.
This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.
wen
wen

Ken,
maybe it’s just my browser (IE) but the columns are overlapping – can’t get a clear view of the posts.

Ian
Ian
2022 years ago

Layout is good, like the dates, although the white b/ground is quite a shock to the eyeballs after the soothing colour scheme of yore.

Peter Ransen
Peter Ransen
2022 years ago

The new style is fabulous; the old one was heavy and foreboding. This is great, airy and bright.

2022 years ago

The site from which I borrowed this stylesheet commented that its designers had had difficulty getting the design to resolve properly in IE. It looks fine in my version of IE, but its a fairly recent one (6.0). Maybe Wendy’s is an earlier version that has more difficulty with this design. If many others have the same problem I’ll have to reconsider.

Gary
2022 years ago

Norman has the same layout. Except different colours.

Scott Wickstein
2022 years ago

My first impression was that the server had been hacked. But, well done.. a change is as good as a holiday.

Robert
2022 years ago

Interesting. A drastic change, might take a bit of getting used to.

Geoff Honnor
Geoff Honnor
2022 years ago

It’s quite tropical. Kind of airy and ventilated. Maybe you should have a palm tree up behind the armadillo?

Geoff

Never underestimate the extent of my kitsch sensibilities. I actually tried combining a palm tree and armadillo when I first created TA, but I lack the graphics skills to make it look even slightly OK.

Homer Paxton
Homer Paxton

EEk,
There is no change on my computer.

Its deju all over again

Homer

Clear your cache by going to Tools – Internet Options – Temporary Internet Files – Delete Files – OK. Then when your cache has been cleared hit the refresh button on your icon bar. That should fix it (with any sort of luck).

If it doesn’t, you might consider getting carried away and downloading and installing an up-to-date version of the browser of your choice. IE, Opera or Mozilla seem to be the main choices these days. They’re all free and they’re all pretty good.

Scott Wickstein

IE is shit. Get Firefox.

Robert
2022 years ago

I second Scott’s recommendation.

jen
jen

Can we have pink?
And louvres behind the armadillo

2022 years ago

And you could take a photo of me sitting in the Jason recliner under a palm tree for the sidebar.

woodsy
woodsy
2022 years ago

On balance I think I prefer the old style because it had a certain gravitas, a je ne sais pas quoi, but, as you say, a change is as good as….
However I can’t read the last couple of letters in the middle column, even if I reduce the type size to the smallest. Could you reduce the left hand column by about 1.5 cm in the hope that ALL the text becomes visible ?

Wayne

I just copied the stylesheet from someone, and tweaked it a tiny bit. He seems to have created the layout by some method other than cell padding that I don’t understand. Maybe one of our HTML gurus might happen by and be prepared to look at the coding in the stylesheet and tell me how I could widen the post column a bit (or narrow the left column). I’m pretty sure there’s no problem with more recent versions of IE, but I can’t expect every casual reader to be bothered downloading the most recent version just so they can read Troppo properly.

John Quiggin
John Quiggin
2022 years ago

I like it in general, but I can’t say the mauve highlights appeal to me.

Francis Xavier Holden
2022 years ago

Ken – I’m using Opera 7.5, Firefox 0.9.2 and when I have to IE 6 on windows. Seems to work fine in all of them. (I’ll check it on Linux later)

woodsy
woodsy
2022 years ago

Check the width of the ‘legal links’ drop down menu in the right column. If you reduce it a little the column will probably be narrower, as it is until the menu box is loaded.

Wayne

OK I’ve narrowed the legal menu box as suggested. It doesn’t change the column width on my browser, but check yours. In any event, the entire site is loading at snail’s pace at present on my machine. I don’t know whether others are having the same problem.

cs
cs
2022 years ago

I don’t know if I’m in the doghouse here or not … but on the site … gawd … I’m shocked … actually, I like the relief from the black … but it’s also real, real bright … FWIW I’d suggest just a touch of colour.

jen
jen
2022 years ago

– ok if not magenta then what about green, as chris says a touch of – very tropical savannah style green – and magenta print – ok not magenta – awfully close to god with magenta, violet is good for god too what about buddha blue ohhh I really do have to get that prompt copy together feel free to delete this has now become rambling private emil material excuse me you lot I’m just so happy to have my name at the top and a proper photo with my mouth closed.

2022 years ago

I was nearly going to say I love you with your mouth open, but then I thought people might misinterpret…

Seriously though, I have a few ideas about colour: – contrasting colours in the right and maybe left sidebars respectively (but not too bright or garish in either case – maybe a very light beige with a parchment pattern like Currency Lad’s blog, and/or a washed-out olive), leaving the top banner and centre posts column white). And the headlines and blog description maroon.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve that parchment pattern Currency Lad uses. No doubt it’s just a standard template in new Blogger, but how would I adapt it to here?

I’m still nervous about the stylesheet. I’ll probably play around with it a bit in Frontpage or Dreamweaver over the next couple of days, while leaving it as is here. But I’ll still need someone to tell me about that column overlap problem in earlier IE browsers. I guess I can just try a bit more cell padding and see what happens, but I suspect there’s more to it than that.

2022 years ago

Alright gurus. How the hell do I get the rest of the right column beige with the parchment pattern? I’ve stuck them in .side and .sidetitle , where else do they need to go so the whole right column is like that?

2022 years ago

Well, that’s completely stuffed the gravitas, anyway. I might go back to the all white look and start again. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could ditch the palm tree and leave the armadillo in the banner, but it’s got a white background so it looks bad when the body background is beige. Is there a way to force the whole banner to stay white but leave the beige in the .body part of the stylesheet??

2022 years ago

Igonre the last two comments. I worked it out. And I’m reasonably happy with it now, I think. I still need to tweak the hyperlink colours and underlining in the sidebar and comments, but I’ll worry about that later.

Ian
Ian
2022 years ago

Looking good now – much, much easier on the eye :-))

Scott Wickstein
2022 years ago

Does look good Ken. Why are you staying up all night to do these things though? Sleep is good, yes?

Scott

It started pouring raining unexpectedly at about 2am here in Darwin, and I had to run downstairs to pull a mattress in out of the weather. Then I couldn’t get back to sleep, so I thought I might as well do something vaguely constructive. I eventually got back to sleep around 5am and slept through until 8, so I got about 6 hours in total, which is enough to survive on.

Scott Wickstein
2022 years ago

Must be older men need less sleep. I’m getting 9 to 10 hours kip a night now, and needing ever minute of it.

Scott

I couldn’t back up night after night and survive on 6 hours sleep, but I can do it for a couple of nights running and still function reasonably effectively the next day (as I have for the last 2 days). Overall, I still need to average about 7-8 hours per night, which I think is fairly typical for most people. I think you’re right that you can get by on less sleep as you get older, but it hasn’t become all that marked in me yet. But the slippery slope is bound to get steeper!!