Normblog song poll results

Here’s something worth a look! Back in December, Norm Geras asked people to send him their Top Ten favourite pop/rock songs. He had a record number of entries for such a poll–230–so it took some time to sort them out. Well, the results are now in, and it’s interesting to see the top two spots are taken out by Rolling Stones songs–I Can’t Get No Satisfaction and one of my own Top Ten, Sympathy for the Devil–but the Beatles, as expected, scored the most number of songs nominated. Have a look at the results on Normblog, here.

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.
Tony.T
2022 years ago

There are so many “usual suspects” there I almost feel sick.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish
2022 years ago

Looks like Norm’s demographic is overwhelmingly babyboomer, and mainstream/non-alternative babyboomer at that. It resembles a playlist from one of those 60s/70s “golden hits” nostalgia radio stations. There’s almost nothing from the last decade, and very little from the decade before that. Did good pop songs really stop being made in the early 1980s, or did Norm’s readers’ tastes just start to ossify then?

Rob
Rob
2022 years ago

Hey, what happened to The Velvet Underground? Where’s ‘I’m Waiting for the Man’? ‘All tomorrow’s Parties’?

sophie
sophie
2022 years ago

Hey, why didn’t you guys take part in the poll???And I have to tell you that at least 2 of the respondents I know of were teenagers–my 15 and 17 year old sons–and their Top Ten left out most of the 80’s and 90’s stuff, apart from Radiohead and Jeff Buckley..They said they nominated the 60’s and 70’s stuff because they are great songs that have lasted well. And most of the 80’s stuff was too dreadful for words..with better stuff in the 90’s and now. So there!

Rob
Rob
2022 years ago

I agree, Sophie. I think Ken’s new post should include the best 1990’s-2000’s digitally remastered re-releases of 1960’s-1970’s masterpieces. That would keep it within his timeframe and give us another chance to vote for the songs that really mattered. That’s the thing: nothing after the mid-‘eighties really mattered. Ouch – I’d better keep my head down after saying that.

Francis Xavier Holden
2022 years ago

nearly all Dad’s Rock.

Looks to me like Homer Paxton’s personal record collection.

Francis Xavier Holden
2022 years ago

before Nabs picks me up. That’s Dads’ Rock.