All their own work

We’re getting far too serious and polite here at Troppo. Something needs to be done about it. Other bloggers don’t labour under the dead weight of deep civility, and this week has seen some vintage fearless and full-bodied opinions:

Currency Lad (on abortion):

In [Emma] Tom’s victimology we see a type of an ever-present feminist fantasy: to be good, a man really needs to be more like a woman. This is an outlook born not of oppression but of historically unprecedented reproductive underemployment.

Rob Schaap (also on abortion):

Preaching individual liberty and a smaller state when it suits doesn’t mean you can’t withdraw liberty and plant the state on our necks when that suits. Not if you’re the ruling class, anyway. Most of this mob don’t give a toss about baby after it’s born, a significant number of ’em are all for bombing a hundred thousand current and erstwhile babies to death elsewhere – and not a few are predisposed to executing a few when they grow up, too.

If debate you must, debate only with those who are pro (all-of) life, I reckon.

Tim Dunlop:

What a disgusting institution the Royal Family is.

As you’d expect though, Tim’s spray is a mere zephyr alongside Hack’s solid gold invective on the same topic:

Our future monarch, the man who confessed in a taped phone conversation in the early ’90s that he wanted to be Camel-a’s tampon so he could be inside her … sorry, just had to have a quiet wretch beside the keyboard … will wed his oh-so-ugly screw six weeks from now. …

Suffice to say that these two are a couple of supremely ugly, obscenely rich, duplicitous monsters who didn’t let a little thing like the 1981 wedding of Chuck and Di get in the way of surreptitious porking any chance they got.

They deserve each other.

Tex:

Kylie Minogue is not sexy. I really don’t see the attraction of skinny, bony-faced, plastic-surgery mannequins like her.

Other supposedly beautiful women who are completely unattractive: Elizabeth Hurley, Pamela Anderson, Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Penelope Cruz.

Professor Bunyip:

As a general principle, all drugs should be legal, since no government has the right to save its citizens from the ravages of their own follies, especially when they shake down the sober ones to pay for the rescue. In practice, however, nobody should gobble hard drugs (at least not very often), because there’s no predicting the final destination.

Keep up the good work, chaps.

About Ken Parish

Ken Parish is a legal academic, with research areas in public law (constitutional and administrative law), civil procedure and teaching & learning theory and practice. He has been a legal academic for almost 20 years. Before that he ran a legal practice in Darwin for 15 years and was a Member of the NT Legislative Assembly for almost 4 years in the early 1990s.
This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.
Rob
Rob
2022 years ago

I thought the comparative cvility on Troppo was one of its attractions. Happy to spit venom if you would prefer.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish
2022 years ago

No no, keep it civil Rob, but a bit of light, uninhibited relief from elsewhere doesn’t go astray from time to time, especially late on a Friday after surviving (just) the incomparable idiocy of parts of the tertiary education bureaucracy (for the moment anyway).

cs
cs
2022 years ago

I thought Paul (of the Diatribe site, for which I have an unfathomable weakness) worth a passing mention for his comment at CL’s place:

“She must have some blue blood, after all, she bears an uncanny resemblance to Henry V111’s syphilitic bottom. As to his desire for tampondom with the lovely Camilla, she must be a freak of nature if she is able to accomodate those ears). Why does anyone care who or what this pack of porphyric prussian pus-nuts pork, prod, play hide the Windsor sausage or procreate with?”

Rob
Rob
2022 years ago

A very pretty piece of spat venom. Look, it’s eating through the pavement.

I’m sorry, I’m spoiling things. I’ll piss off now.

Rafe

The comparative civility of Troppo!? LOL
Put your shirt on Catallaxy for “most civil blog of 2005”.

Jason Soon
Jason Soon

Rafe,
you obviously haven’t read my moments of comment rage – they were before your time (so to speak). I can be a pretty nasty piece of work.

Ken Parish
Ken Parish
2022 years ago

“I can be a pretty nasty piece of work.”

I hear Cliff Richard once said that too, and everyone laughed politely.

David Tiley
2022 years ago

The occasional rage-filled shit is very good for constipation.

Darlene
2022 years ago

You could always use the odd swear word in the middle of a deep analysis of some serious book or another.

For example, Baird’s book is a timely analysis at how women are represented, oh, f**k it, it’s a lot of boring bullshit.

See, I am so civil I couldn’t even spell the word out fully.

How very Crikey of me.

James Russell

“rage-filled shit”

The blogosphere is full of people fitting that description…

Nabakov
Nabakov
2022 years ago

As I suggested on Cap’n Quiggin’s blogship, an insult thread helps people let off steam, ‘specially if it’s floating free of any particular subject. Kinda like the “the dozens”.

Mark Bahnisch
2022 years ago

Chris, to defend my ancestors I must point out that the British royals are not Prussian but Hanoverian. The Prussians didn’t kick out the Elector of Hanover til 1866.

cs
cs
2022 years ago

Bah! Who wants to let a little history get in the way of good invective?

David Tiley
2022 years ago

James – constipation too.. bloody everywhere.