How to save tigers: a discussion starter

babytigers.jpg

The Journal of Economic Perspectives calls this a ‘discussion starter’.

Barun Mitra discusses Saving the Tiger: China and India Move in Radically Different Directions. Since the 1970s, India has enacted tough laws and mobilized huge resources to stop hunting and trading in tiger parts. But the policy of prohibition has not secured the future of tigers. Meanwhile, in China, special tiger breeding bases have been set up under public and private management. More than 4,000 tigers are in captivity in China today, and an effort is underway to build a genetic profile of every tiger in captivity so that the number of pure subspecies can be documented and increased. This will enable breeders to meet the international demand for pure-bred tiger cubs and young adults of particular subspecies. PERC Reports, September 2006, pp. 36.

This entry was posted in Economics and public policy. Bookmark the permalink.
Woodsy
Woodsy
14 years ago

I contacted the WWF (or somebody like that, I can’t remember exactly, it was so long ago) suggesting that they mount a covert campaign leaking information that tigers were infected with AIDS, ebola, SARS, anything that would scare those who consumed tiger parts into reducing demand. It would take a considerable amount of effort and money but within a decade, if the campaign were strenuous enough, the demand should be reduced sufficiently that there would be little economic benefit in poachers killing wild tigers. Perhps somebody could start a blog campaign ?

Mungo Amanda
14 years ago

I have nowt to say about it — I may try to read the article when I can — except that that picture is so cute I keep coming back just to look at it. I may be single handedly causing the traffic load which has been causing Jacques so many problems.

emma
13 years ago

i think tigers are like so cute and like should not like be treated like meanly like yah!

Liam
Liam
13 years ago

But then you were like, yah.

Fyodor
13 years ago

…and I’m, like, what-e-vah.

Nabakov
Nabakov
13 years ago

A tiger’s penis is worth more than its weight in gold in certain markets.

To a tiger of course it’s priceless.

I know, that’s like totally gross and stuff.

Pavlov's Cat
13 years ago

So I’m like aaaaawwwwww, liddle baby ti-gahs!

Nabakov
Nabakov
13 years ago

liddle baby ti-gahs!

Oh yes. Except they grow up and literally eat you out of house and home. 15 pounds of meat a day. And if you’re slow, they won’t distinguish between the served and the served. Like irritable executives dining solo on junkets.

Unlike lions which apparently tend to be rather more sociable and amenable to irregular human-arranged catering arrangements. And I’ve heard tell that of the big cats, cheetahs are most easily habituded to human company.

But leopards – fuggedabout it. Those fuckers have been genetically evolved to bite primates in the back of the skull.

However, Siamese cats have been genetically evolved to complain about your choice of 50s musical on DVD.

Nabakov
Nabakov
13 years ago

the served and the served

Yes, that should read

the served and the servers

Now I’ll go away and shed on all your pale clothing.