Hello, early birds!

In the quest to discover the tao of geek, I sometimes leave a live window of web server logs on one of my screens. It helps give me a sense of what’s happening with the site.

I see a bit of newish looking traffic, which I guess is Nicholas Gruen mentioning us on Radio National.

Welcome, visitors! Please poke around and enjoy yourselves. We’re a funny bunch here at Club Troppo — what with libertarians laying down with ABC listeners an’ all — but I’m confident you’ll feel at home in no time.

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Hello, early birds!

1. Niall says:

A ten minute grab shared between three people, all with diverse views to put across didn’t really excite me, I have to say.

2. Jacques Chester says:

It all adds up.

3. Jacques Chester says:

Just finished listening to it — it was a pity they didn’t get more time. Same basic problem as podcasts and vodcasts: most people can get words into their heads faster through text than spoken words.

4. wilful says:

Is this a libertarians website? Is that how it’s categorised? Oh dear, better spend less time here then.

5. amphibious says:

Pity about the brevity but it was a good expostion of the nature of blogs for the vast majority of RN listeners who may not yet have entered this strange new territory.
    Geraldine Doogue usually does an excellent job on Saturday mornings with wider elucidation of the issues of the week, an option not available to FranK’s bulging ‘playlist’ on AM. For an non-specialist she manages intelleigent questions and allows the interviewees free & wide range.

6. Jacques Chester says:

Is this a libertarians website? Is that how its categorised?

Can Troppo be categorised?

7. Onlooker says:

I wonder whether the list of 5 recommended blogs might appear here, ‘cos I can’t find it on abc.net.au Your own blogs were there but not your lists of top 5.

8. Link says:

I think its getting safer to say the world can be divided into two groups (possibly three). Those who write and read blog posts and those who have absolutely no time for them and find it hard to fathom why anyone would bother doing either. I think Geraldine falls into the latter group, admitting that she has no time to to read blogs. Not sure what to think about this latter group of people. Dull, comes to mind, but that would be bias, unfair and a fairly big generalisation.

9. James Farrell says:

wilful, I think Jacques was trying to be witty with his two-fold classification of the universe. If so, he succeeded, with me at least.

10. In so far as this blog can be thought to have some ideological positioning, at least if you ask me (and I think I also speak for Ken, but he may want to correct me) it is centrist. But that’s a pretty loose description – and there are people I’d think of as somewhat left leaning and some who are more right leaning (with a libertarian bent – Jacques). That’s pretty much it. What is centrist? I had a go at describing what I mean here.

11. One other thing – after Geraldine said the ABC would put our nominated three links up on the website I emailed the crew this to post on the ABC website.

Geraldine has asked us to provide our three favourite blogs. In a way, things have moved on. Since Google produced their blog reader I simply load blogs I like into their system and categorise them and then all posts are extracted on the reader. Then I can quickly browse the titles to see if I want to read more. This not only enables me to scan far more blogs, it also makes space for blogs like Interfluidity which only have new content occasionally. Whenever it appears, it pops up on my reader and I can investigate without having to go on a fruitless visit to a site for two weeks just to notice some new post at the end of that period.

Another highlight of the blogosphere is a new blogger with something to say. Dani Rodrik is a renowned economist with some very interesting things to say whos only recently taken up blogging. So his ideas are still fresh and so compelling. Like columnists, after youve been at the game more than a year or so you start to repeat yourself which is less rewarding for the reader. Finally if you want to regularly read really thoughtful things from a bunch of very high quality social scientists, go no further than Crooked Timber.

I’d put these in as links, but my mouse is stuffed and it’s late – so please find them if you want to in Google. And I’ll try to post the links once I’ve managed to perform some musculine(?) first aid.

12. As promised.