If you’re interested in social policy and have a strong commitment to social justice then here’s a job you might be interested in. Catholic Social Services Australia is looking for a new policy officer.
CSSA is looking for an appropriately qualified and experienced person to:
- Undertake social policy research with an emphasis on the causes, incidence and consequences of aspects of poverty and disadvantage in Australia, and on policy options to redress these (Examples of relevant issue areas include: employment policy, welfare policy; locational disadvantage; education; mental health; and the interaction of government policies on welfare benefits, taxation and industrial relations).
- Prepare policy papers, submissions, briefings and other written material that develop and promote Catholic Social Services Australia policy positions.
- Maintain awareness of current research and developments in social policy and relevant programs.
- Liaise as appropriate with Program Managers and other key personnel at National Office in relevant policy areas.
- Liaise with, collect data from, and assist coordination of research activities undertaken by, Catholic Social Services Australia — most specifically with Catholic Social Services Australia’s own Members.
- Maintain networks with Catholic Social Services Australia Member organisations, academics, social service providers, government contacts, social policy researchers, welfare NGOs, Catholic bodies, other Churches, and others concerned about Australians in poverty.
- Represent Catholic Social Services Australia at relevant conferences, networks, public forums, sector meetings, and other forums.
Personally, I think this is a great job — in fact it’s almost exactly like the job I do. CSSA employs two policy officers and I’m one of them.