Best Blog Posts of 2007: Call for Nominations

Details below the fold.

Optional fanfare.

This time last year, regular readers may remember, Club Troppo sponsored a showcase of Australian independent blogging, which we called ‘Best Blog Posts of 2006′. From a large pool of nominations drawn from a multitude of Australian blogs, our committee chose forty posts; these Graham Young kindly agreed to re-post on On Line Opinion, where they were published over the course of January. This is how OLO readers saw them. The aim was to give seasoned blog readers a second chance to read some of the best material from the past year, and to show a broader readership the riches that blogs have to offer.

We consider ourselves well qualified because Club Troppo publishes Missing Link, a (normally) twice-weekly digest of new posts on Australian blogs. This means we read a very wide cross-section of posts, and flatter ourselves that we have a good feel for quality. On Line Opinion was a suitable venue because it’s widely read, including by people who visit blogs rarely or never, and because our best blog posts are typically short essays that are well suited to OLO’s format.

As you will have gathered, deeming BB06 to have been a splendid success, we are repeating the exercise. The time has come to launch BB07.

The objective, once again, is to gather some of the best blog writing in one place. For the cognoscenti, the collection will be both a celebration and a handy compendium. For the uninitiated, it will be a pleasant guided tour of what might otherwise seem a bewildering maze of interlinked web-sites. Finally, for the former vis a vis the latter, it’s an opportunity for seasoned participants to overcome the newcomers’ scepticism by presenting them with a mass of consistently good writing all at once. On this score, the expected outcome (any bureaucratic process worth its salt lists expected outcomes as well as objectives) is that an OLO reader unfamiliar with blogs will be smitten by the quality of one or more posts in BB07, follow the link to the author’s blog, become a fan and put the blog into his or her bookmarks.

The procedure will be essentially the same this time ’round. We will assemble a pool of posts from throughout 2007, and our committee will pick roughly forty of these, to be posted at On Line Opinion, two at a time on weekdays through January 2008. The committee members are Ken Parish, Nicholas Gruen, Helen Dale, Graham Young and editor James Farrell.

Posts will enter the pool by two channels. First of all, to ensure there is a decent sample, our committee will be reviewing the year’s editions of Missing Link to unearth the jewels in our own collection.

The second channel is you. We would like you to nominate your own favourite posts. This includes posts you’ve read and posts you’ve written.

As far as self-nomination goes, in case there are writers out there who are inhibited by modesty, we would like you to think of it this way: This is not a competition. It’s an anthology, an exposition. There is no winner, so we are not asking you to claim that any post of yours is the best post of 2007. We just want to exhibit your wares. You are good writers and good judges of writing, and you can remember much better than we can, or the other readers can, which were the best ones. (We have read and admired lots of your posts, and in many cases included them in Missing Link, but, as you can imagine, with the passage of months, they’re all a bit of a blur.) So please remind us which are the best ones. Please make our lives easier by supplying a list of the three posts you are most proud of.

You can make your nominations in three ways:

1. List them in the comments thread below;
  2. If you are a blogger yourself, become part of the process and write a post with your nominations, and just link to it in the comments thread below;
  3. Send an email to: j dot farrell at uws dot edu dot au.

1. The authors must be self-identified Australian bloggers (though they may reside abroad).
  2. The posts should generally be from independent blogs, not MSM offshoots.
  3. The posts may be on any topic, from politics, science, and the humanities, to sport and cooking. Reviews of books, films and shows are also very welcome. The only other proviso is that posts should be of interest to a general audience rather than be purely for aficionados. For example, posts about hamsters, while not ruled out completely, have a low probability of selection.
  4. Posts should generally be of the longer, essay variety, as opposed to the short, link-and-comment variety, or posts that are three-quarters quotation. Preferred length is under 1,000 words but this is not a strict requirement and would not stop us picking a post that was clearly of a sufficiently high quality or interest.
  5. One individual may make up to six nominations, but not more than three for a single author.

When the committee has agreed on the forty best posts, we will endeavour to contact the authors, to give them an opportunity to decline or to make minor amendments if they wish.

The closing date for nominations is Monday 10 December.

This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.

141 Responses to Best Blog Posts of 2007: Call for Nominations

1. gilmae says:

You think I should be judging who is the best commenter here? Wow. I am sure it was inadvertent but you couldn’t possibly have picked a worse candidate. Comment threads are least edifying corner of this global internet; and yes, I am including [edited to protect the innocent -Jacques]

2. Jacques Chester says:

Hamsters, sure, but what about cats? Ned the Bear might have a nomination.

3. Please drop your faves in the comments, will make our lives that much easier :)

4. Niall says:

I don’t normally indulge in blogospheric silliness like awards, etc. but given this isn’t a ‘competition’…..I’ll ‘ave a lash!

5. Niall, can you pick out what you consider to be your best motor racing post as the third? Ta.

6. Robert says:

Without doubt this has to be nominated: AUSTRALIA’S DAY OF SHAME, by Ken Parish. To me, this is Parish at his formidable best. I think KP had a terrific year of writing; always researched and informative, and written with style to embrace the reader, rather than falling into the trap of attempting overall to exhibit the writer’s knowledge on a subject. But this one had real passion, and that gave it real power.

It was published within an environment of bland and weak MSM writing on the subject – some of it even confused – all of it wanting, and hit the table hard, just when people needed it. You can never really tell the effect of a blog post upon mainstream commentary, but no doubt Troppo posts are read by journo’s, and there certainly came some sharper and more courageous MSM commentary after this post. I think it cut new ground and led the way.

I enjoy nominating this for another more general reason, in that I don’t always agree with KP’s views in some areas, no doubt that’s returned assuming my comments here are even read, and that shows excellent writing: that knowledge, passion, experience, summation and ideas and all the rest of it – including that the piece is finished to conclusion – can enlighten and empower the reader beyond their natural persuasion. Much different, of course, from merely cementing one’s prejudice, or flat out putting the reader off.

This particular post nominated was followed in Troppo by other excellent posts worthy also of nomination of course, but this one being the passionate, courageous precursor to them here and elsewhere takes first prize.

7. nabla says:

G’morning. As a public servant and semi-professional lurker I’ve read my fair share of blog posts and, to be honest, they’ve all congealed into an unrecognisable mass in my head, like the rubber band ball I build when I should be working. This post on troppo itself stuck out for me – the post itself was fantastic, and it generated one of the better comments threads I’ve seen – comments which didn’t necessitate a Phd to decipher.

8. Robert says:

Quick clarification respecting James’ statement: “this is not a competition”. The use of the term “first prize” in the comment above while it represents my personal first prize could have been better phrased by “this post is the stand-out”. Apologies, James – it’s understood this is not a competition. As remarked last year, Best Blog Posts is a brilliant initiative, as a showcase.

9. Yobbo says:

Lol Niall.

10. invig says:

How about mine on the Iraq strategy back in July, or more recently on drug policy?.

I’m proud of both, and believe the former made a difference while the latter yet will.

11. Niall says:

Best motor racing post??!! How long is that string, given I’m the only V8 Supercar follower I know who blogs it.

Let’s try the Oran Park round given it was a fantastic performance by a young driver.

12. I second nabla’s choice – and if it gets up in BB07 it should definitely have a special reminder to readers that the comments thread is a major highlight.

13. Jacques Chester says:
  14. Pingback: Nominations for Best Aussie Blog Posts of the Year | Dipping into the Blogpond

15. nasking says:

Road to Surfdom…followed by Lavartus Prodeo…The Orstrahyun…Howard Out…YOUR NEW REALITY…Club Troppo…Anonymous Lefty…Antony Loewenstein…Catallaxy…Hoyden About Town…Bartlett Diaries

& of course Blogocracy

Those are the Aussie blogs I surf to each day…generally in that order.

This YouTube vid has a great song…& images that bring back ‘memories’ big time:

(John Howard – In Memorandum – The Howard Years)

spread it around…pass it on…:)

16. Ken Parish says:

nasking, we’re looking for nominations for individual blog posts, not best entire blogs.

17. Jason Soon says:

Firstly I’ll nominate 3 of my own posts and then come back later and nominate 3 by others (once I figured that out!)

Charles Murray, libertarianism and civil society

Smallville – one of my guilty pleasures

Economic development and freedom

18. Jason Soon says:

Well I was going to nominate Helen’s equity piece too so thanks gilmae.

That leaves me some space to give some attention to Heath Gibson who is going to be too modest to nominate himself

Taxing virtual economies

In defence of the plastic bag

And to encourage Boris to write more, one of his guest posts (actually his only one so far) – right on January 1st 2007

Life in the USSR

19. nasking says:

You always were pedantic Ken.

20. Greg says:

I guess i will nominate one of my own posts as i was at the time quite pleased with how it came out

Best Day of your life

21. nasking says:

OK…some of my fave posts:

Cabinet: The Movie
    Howard govt – 24 Comments

22. Don Arthur says:

I’d like to nominate James Farrell and Paul Frijters for starting one of the most interesting conversations I’ve had all year.
    James provoked a lively comments thread when he asked "What’s wrong with the Layard Thesis?" Before long John Quiggin joined in with a post at Crooked Timber (cross posted on his personal blog) and I wrote a reply to James on Troppo (which makes no sense on its own). James then wrote a reply to John and summed up the debate.
    This is what I love about blogging. Somebody writes something that gets you thinking. You comment, you write a post, somebody else joins in and then you do some more thinking. It’s not just one post, it’s the entire conversation. James managed to draw a whole series of posts on happiness together.
    If you follow the links from post to post you’ll find a conversation on happiness research that’s been going on for years with contributions by bloggers like Ken Parish, Andrew Leigh and Andrew Norton (among others).

23. Richard Green says:

I am quite enamoured of the construction of this argument

24. Nabakov says:

I nominate pretty much anything by David Tiley over 500 words over the past 12 months.

His most recent post is fairly indicative of what I’m talking about here. An v. perceptive obit of Norman Mailer that elegantly morphs into some acute observations about how a writer deals with a life as it is written.

Also Liveblogging my tax return. A great concept, beautifully executed…until she just ran out of steam.

That’s the trouble with women, no bloody stamina.

And can I also nominate for the brevity in punditry category, this.. Less than 30 words, presented without any fee, which pretty much sums up the conclusions eventually reached through hundreds of thousands of words by highly paid MSM commentators.

25. Nabakov says:

AJNOCK, I believe we’re currently talking earth-based blog posts here.

Of course, once this Best Blog Posts thang moves off-planet and beyond the lying straitjacket of Newtonian physics, Birdy should scoop all categories, even the ones that are a mistake.

26. Graeme Bird says:

Damn straight I should scope all categories. I shall think of other posts to nominate soon. But the above one is not bad since its part of the process of replacing the totally flawed WATTS PER SQUARE METRE paradigm that so bedevils modern climate science.

27. Jason Soon says:

Ah the Nietschean uber-mensch declares his candidacy.

And out of this hammer and anvil, a new science shall be forged, one purged of peer review and bully-boy-parasitism.

28. Ken Parish says:

How does he manage to dodge the spaminator so easily?

29. gilmae says:

Scope all categories? Is it that Bird has finally lost it with the LIARS and has bought a high-powered rifle?

30. Ken Parish says:

BTW Nabs, the URL for “Liveblogging my tax return” is missing. It sounds like an interesting post that I missed at the time, so if anyone can supply the URL (and author) that would be much appreciated.

31. Ken Parish says:

As you were. I found it by googling. Liveblogging my tax return was by Helen on the Cast Iron Balcony as well and can be found here.

32. saint says:

I have to admit Zoe’s mum’s punditry is one of my all time favourites. Helen lived blogged her tax return.
    And anything Tiley writes under 500 words should be included too.

33. I’m not shy about shameless self promotion, so I’d like to submit this one:
    Meg White sex tape fake but still “news” – it’s about the dodgy reporting of the fake Meg White tape by some of the Australian media.

Then there’s this one:

Safety Ratings – Dont fall for the corporate spin! – it’s about how people seem more than willing to buy into the corporate spin of car manufacturers without looking a little deeper.

34. Vee says:

Its a bit hard to go past Adrian Pagan’s post.

As is Quiggin’s Shedding Blood for Liberty.

I may or may not come back with more.

35. Vee says:

Here are some more:

These three posts on Hew Griffiths

A rather lengthy earlier post by Chris White on the right to strike

Robert Merkel’s Broadband and Bad Decisions post

Awfully difficult to go past Mark Bahnisch latest post on ALPs IR policy

36. Darlene says:

I would like to nominate:

Skepticlawyer’s “This Old Man”:

Helen’s “It’s not just the moustache”:

Audrey Apple’s “Hard to believe, but apparently feminists can be sexy”:

Audrey Apple’s “The Pelican Brief”:

And that’s all I can think of for the moment (you know, a lack of stamina and all that).

37. James Farrell says:

Thanks to: everyone who’s made nominations; Meg for the plug; all the nominees themselves, for not clogging this thread up with thankyou notes (keep up the good work); Don; and Ken for your fine googling initiative.

Vee: you have exceeded your quota. I’ll keep your nominations, but for penance could you get me functioning links to the three LP posts.

Pickles: the link to your Meg White post doesn’t work.

Keep them coming.

38. Vee says:

Oh, well that will teach you to put that point at the bottom of the list. ;)

Those links function fine for me. Instead I’ll just withdraw ALL nominations as I had more coming.

And I had not even covered Club Troppo yet.

I do not know if I will narrow it down to six or not. If I do I will post again by the closing date. If not, I am sure you will have more than enough to keep you company.

39. lauredhel says:

My stand-out nomination is Jane Simpson’s “Gunboat Lip-gloss”. Jane saw the real agenda of the Northern Territory intervention – moving Aboriginal people out of remote communities altogether – long ago.

Next up: bluemilk’s “Smug married guy, you dont know anything about single mothers”.

And “Another Pseud-Apology”, at matjjin-nehen, a semantic analysis of the phrase “I’m Sorry.”

I’ll pull out three of mine based on those that have been most linked, and/or that I’ve had the most positive feedback about. Here goes:

1. “Anti-feminist-Bingo! A master-class in sexual entitlement.” Still used around the femmobolsho traps as a collective troll resistance strategy.

2. “Stop and think: invisible access for invisible disabilities.” My personal coming-out as a person with a chronic illness that others can’t see.

3. “Passive Aggression: Foregrounding the Object” Rape and the language of agent deletion: How the language of sexual violence differs from the language used to describe other violent crimes, and the effects this has on the listener or reader.

40. Keep ‘em coming, people. Good to see the response so far.

41. Nico says:

It wasn’t one of the ones in missing link this year, but guide to writing a confessional memoir is my favourite of my own pretty lean year of posting.

42. Well, the piece I was happiest with from the year so far was this one about Enrico Fermi.

43. nasking says:

Hopefully not being too parochial…but as we live in Sth East Qld…& Kev 07 is a QLD lad, i found this to be a thoughtful and memory stimulating post from Mark Bahnisch on Lav Prod:

Urbanism and ideas and blogging
    Published by Mark on 9 July 2007 at 1:54 pm in Australiana, Blogging, Brisbane, Culture, History, Life, Photography, Sociology, Urbanism.

44. Jozef Imrich says:

IMHO, an entry worth czeching (sic):

This post on has been submitted by Karen Andrews from I am no stranger (nor are you, probably) to how the wider media sometimes depicts bloggers: as closeted wannabees who add to the rise of faux journalism. Books are currently being published on the subject. How do You Sell Your Blog?

45. Jozef Imrich says:

CODA: The first Australian social news site might help us decide what is the best blogging read … MARGARET SIMONS – author of The Content Makers: Understanding the Media in Australia What’s worth reading? ;

46. Nabakov says:

Can I give you a useful tip here Birdy.

Never mind the quality of your thoughts, what about the quantity?

No one online has got the patience to scroll through more than several inches unless a genuinely brilliant writer has riveted you to your mouse.

So firstly why not restrict yourself to 400 words max per comment? Itll give you a disciplined framework in which to organise and present your points.

Secondly, grab Clive James’ books of TV criticism – Visions Before Midnight, The Crystal Bucket and Glued To The Box, either available on their own or compiled as Clive James On Television.

300 plus columns with which he made his bones in moving from Grub to Easy St and a master class in how to write a compact yet exuberant 400 word piece that makes a piercing point while also playing up for the sheer hell of it along the way.

It’s all about structure. Open with a pungent and provocative para. Avoid alliteration. Slide away from the main topic for the next para to let your readers know where your currently coming from – in my case now, drinking Grace Jones while listening to 12 year old Glenmorangie – which also sets up a delayed gag/final punch line.

Now you’ve got your readers aware of your wavelength, then you swing back into several paras about your central point.

But build them so the premise arrives as irresistibly as a chain of railway carriages on the Paris Metro, only 30 seconds late but making up for it with some brio braking. Throw in a reference or two here that imply your observations are grounded in a truly worldly perspective.

Then you pounce and make the point you’ve been wanting to make from the start. Which for me now for you is structure, structure, and structure. No matter how original your vision or how carefree and dementedly original you are with the written word, you still need to lead others down the garden path you’ve walked so often in your head. Not everyone else lives inside your head too.

To sum up, establish the mise en scene, seed some long term setups, build your main point to an unstoppable conclusion, sum up. Abed then hit em with a final gag or two youve set up earlier. That’s what makes a true online Demolition Man.

And remember, no more than 400

47. Nabakov says:

Also eye check for typos befor hitting submit.

48. You were meant to be drinking Grace Jones, then, and pouring the other stuff down your lug, Nabs?

49. Nabakov says:

If you thought that was unfunny, then I’m sure you won’t laugh after doing a word count on my 4.21am comment.

Incidentally, done a day trip to Cambridge yet? Colder and smarter than Oxford.

50. TimT says:

Hey Nabokov,

Avoid alliteration.

There’s an ironic sentence if ever I’ve read one, and on behalf of all avid alliterators out there – I thank you!

51. Nabakov says:

Theres an ironic sentence if ever Ive read one, and on behalf of all avid alliterators out there – I thank you!

Yer supposed to golf clap there young Tim, not spell it out for the peanut gallery. Can also wait until you finally work out what I’ve really done with the structure and word count of that comment.

How many hours have you got on Spits?

52. TimT says:

Here’s the thing, Nabokov, I not-so-secretly think you’re an incredibly clever and devastatingly funny individual, and the fact that I usually can’t quite understand what you’re saying confirms it. Did I just become a victim of one of your witty internet bon mots? I certainly think so, sir!

My apologies, though, for my unintentionally pointing out your intended irony. I just thought I was drawing to your attention an unintended irony – or sum’fing.

53. TimT says:

In my defence, it’s very early in the morning for me. Maybe on your side of the Yarra it’s just very late at night…

54. Nabakov says:

Oh fuck it, I’m now outside half a bottle of WHISKEY!, smoking a leftover cigar, listening to Kingsmen’s doing the first and best version of “Louie Louie” and speculating on the best(or least most mutually plausible) excuses for dodging some dreary work meetings.

I know! Struck by an asteroid on the way to the tram stop! Worked the last three times.

Y’know, TimT, the most thought I put into the last line was not coming up with “asteroid”, which is an intrinsically funny word anyway,but rather quantifying just the right number of times I was asteroided. Double figures and beyond is just silly but you if use a single figure integer, it needs to be pushing the bounds of the plausible as defined by the tabloid media. Then you need to start feeling for the rhyme and pace of the word within the sentence. “Three” works on all accounts. Notice the triple sprung “th” sound slinging around in the last pre-meta sentence.

Damn my eyes, all his trick fuck effects come in threes! Or twos. Or ones.

55. Nabakov says:

Look lad, there’s nothing wrong with your writing that a few soul-destroying years in the copywriting trenches wouldn’t cure. Or kill. Or both. It’s the ad business which has made me the genial underachieving yet financial comfortable drunk I am this morning.

Come over to the brushed aluminum side Luke.

56. gilmae says:

I’d like to imagine Nabakov had to re-draft a few times to get that word count, but I have an uncomfortable feeling it just slid into the textarea like fine whisky.

57. Nabakov says:

Nabakov had to re-draft a few times to get that word count

Damn right mon p’tit chou-fleur. It’s hard to make it look easy.

58. AJNOCK says:

I nominate skepticlawyers post on the Raptor where she invited David Jensen along.

59. Nabakov says:

Yo AJNOCK, why are you wasting your time here when you should be out there canvassing the good people of the electorate of Dobell.

And Birdy, if you campaign hard enough, you might just get your deposit back and so be able to spend it at Advanced Hair Studios, emerging with a silky blond mane to the tune of Parliament’s “Who Says A Funk Band Can’t Play Rock And Roll”. Or Funkadelic’s “Here Come The Doo Doo Chasers”. In six inch heels too.

60. gilmae says:

I think my brain just segfaulted

61. James Farrell says:

Thanks for the entertainment, Nabakov. Could I ask you to desist at this point, given that the purpose of the thread is to assemble nominations. I don’t want to have to sift through a Birdstoush looking for whatever nominations may be hidden in the the reast of thread.

62. Nabs is allowed to be drunk, and the Tabs are allowed to sing the praises of their cold old hole (otherwise known as ‘Fen Poly’).

Mind you, I got snowed on last week while rowing!

63. Nabakov says:

Point taken James. It won’t happen again YOU LYING C@$%^%!!

OK, now I’ll recommend something. Seriously

Australia sorely lacks an informed, smartarse, irreverent and fearless cricket periodical. AfterTonyBlog and his merry team of sledgers are sorta filling this gap now, albeit online for the moment.

What I like about this post is that it has a genuine fanzine energy about it except the writing, pics and captions and comments piss all over the original music fanzines in terms of wit and shrewd observation. I doubt you’ll find anywhere else online that captures so well a bunch of occasionally tipsy and very knowledgeable Australian cricket aficionados sardonically commenting on a test match in real time – with Tony putting up provocative sub-posts during drinks.

64. Darragh says:

I’d like to nominate J. Quiggins blog post –, if it hasn’t already been nominated.

If I can nominate myself, I’d like to nominate this article. No I feel all arrogant for doing that! But I guess you got to be in it to win it.

65. SJ says:

Ken Lovell on Noisy Miners:

The real terrorist menace

66. HeathG says:

It’s interesting to see which of my posts people have nominated and flattering to actually see so many given I tend not to post that regularly (maybe once every couple of weeks?).

Basedon ther amount of effort that went in to writing it – do Catallaxy visitors reckon my latest post fills the selection crtieria? (i.e. I’m not going to nominate it base don the effort to write it alone bit if anough others think it’s worthy I’m happy to have it considered.

One thing I will add – I think we (catallaxy) need to add tags for author, since it was a damn P.i.T.A. trying to find all the posts I’ve written in the last year.

67. Round up c8to on that one, Heath. Good idea.

68. Graeme Bird says:

I nominate this one giving you all the real deal on epistemology.

Its from 2006 but it was excluded last year for reasons not in accordance with the goals of impartiality and objectivity.

69. saint says:

I can happily report that I have written nothing really original or scintillating on my blog all year, which is probably why I have had more links from Crikey this year than any other (although I like the traffic. It gives meaning to my hobby).

But will there also be a best comment/commenter this year?

70. Carole says:

Ok, well here goes. I’m new to blogging but passionate about my writing. My posts are certainly not energy efficient as some take days to write but I prefer it that way.

Here’s my 3 of my personal favourites:

71. Good idea, saint, although I’m not sure how to do it. Get blog eds to come up with the best comments on their blogs? Nabs probably at LP, Adrien or Boris at Catallaxy, TimT or gilmae here, paco at Blair’s… very hard to say, and those are just random guesses off the top of my head.

72. Rolan Stein says:

Well, you gotta be in to not win it (it’s not a competition, it’s not a competition…), so here’s three of mine:

1. “Death by Hyperbole”

2. “Malaysia’s Modern Muslims – Leave Your Stereotypes At Home”

3. “Spellbound In Melaka”

73. Pingback: The Road to Surfdom » Blog Archive » Can anyone recommend a good blog post?

74. NH says:

I’ll be lame and nominate myself – There’s sure as hell no one else that will!

Earth First

Contract Law

75. Pls keep nominating, everyone – you’ve got until the 10th Dec and I’m pretty sure there’s more bloggy goodness out there.

76. audrey says:

Thanks for those noms Darlene! I was going to put The Pelican Brief up myself, but instead I might just self nominate these:

Dusty Rooms that Smell of Roses

To Violence Against Women, Australia says…

Love Letter Straight From The Heart

I’d also like to nominate a post from Rach at Quick Little Splinter. It is possibly the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

If People Made Love Like Fish

aa xo

77. James Farrell says:

Joseph, can you supply me with a permalink to the piece by Karen Andrews that you nominated.

78. FDB says:

My favourite comment for brevity, economy and outright elegance is this, just in case a category opens up.

Brevity and economy? Yep, I guess I like it partly because I aspire to it.

79. Pingback: Best post of the year « blue milk

80. Nabakov says:

I second FDB.

That was something I wish I’d said.

But, as Whistler said, I will say it.

81. Rex says:

I nominate this article of Nicholas’

82. Helen says:

Thanks Nabs, Darlene and Nask.

I kinda hate these things because I’ll provide my six suggestions and then I’ll remember something wonderful I forgot.

Here’s some:

This post about the sex and “empowerment” thing from Richie of Crimitism. Actually I’d nominate a lot of Richie’s posts, because anything from Richie usually has me cacking myself and shaking jellywise with laughter. Actually, I must throw in a Gamer post – here’s one – because Richie’s unique gift is to reveal the world of gaming, which is kind of closed to some of us old’uns, dissect it and pull it apart for out edification.

(I don’t agree with the hamster thing, James; a good enough writer, like Chris Clarke, can get us interested in the most obscure things. Keeping the furry animal theme, his post on some squirrel called Sciurus Niger had me in floods of tears. See, I even remembered the latin name. Also, people like the Tropodillians and Crooked Timbers and Quiggin get me reading about, ew, economics. In my spare time. For fun. So.)

Pavlov’s Cat, like Ken, got a rush of blood to the head in recent times and spewed forth the most fine short political essay, Politics As If It Mattered.

I nominate A Bone to Pick and <a hef=”” More Bones to Pick, by Kim of LP, where she courageously took on a popular meme in concern trollism and knowingly set herself up for flying monkeys, abuse and poo flinging.

More later, even us sp@mbots have to sleep sometimes you know.

83. Nabakov says:

Here’s a thought. Given the idea of best blog comment has been mooted yet again, why not set up an ancillary and more irreverent counterpart to the best blog posts survey? Y’know like the more cheeky AFI industry awards before the main L’Oreal AFI Awards.

Some possible categories:
    Best single comment
    Best stoush
    Best stoush not involving Graeme Bird
    Best use of graphics/images in a blog post
    Best sound
    Most improved blog
    Most entropic blog
    Most incomprehensible post and/or comment
    Most incomprehensible post and/or comment not involving Graeme Bird
    Best and fairest thread moderator
    Best impersonation of another commenter
    Best editing
    Best insult and/or compliment
    Best and/or worst gravatars
    Best dynamic duo sparring partners
    Most accidently revealing comment
    Best production design
    Worst pun in a comment
    Worst pun in a comment not involving Homer
    Least read comment by Jack Strocchi
    Best use of motion capture technology
    Most gratuitous lolcat reference
    Best suggestion for an ancillary and more irreverent counterpart to the best blog posts survey

84. Nabakov says:

Oh, and of course best/worst/most off topic thread.

85. Nabakov says:

Hey, doing my best to ensure this thread wins the last category.

What are you lipsnigers doing?

86. Tee hee, Nabs. It’s good idea, but would take some doing, too.

87. Nabakov says:

Its good idea, but would take some doing, too

And I’m just the man to suggest others do it.

88. Best impersonation of another commenter: I nominate me.

89. FDB says:

I can has Best Limerick?

90. Tony T. says:

An appropriate amount of time has passed since Nabakov nominated one of my cricket posts, so I now nominate Nabakov for his review of The Brown Bunny. It’s on the AGB, too, which is a entirely coincidental.

I now await that cricket tragic, FXH, to nominate the rest of my cricket posts.

91. Kevin Rennie says:

Today’s blog on ‘Labor View from Broome’ The Tallyroom: Howard Made History is my self-nomination. It has 3 bad puns in the Title (one visual) my own video and some background text. It is also truly historic. Joe Hockey and I both sweated over this one.

92. Graeme Bird says:

Absolutely pathbreaking science and epistemology:

Magnificent piece of creative writing and prose style starts about halfway down this post. A sure winner for any objective judging team.

93. Nabs and Graeme, pull your heads in. Unless you have further nominations to make (or friends who could make nominations we haven’t heard from yet), then save the snark.

94. James Farrell says:

I’ve deleted the last two comments each by Nabakov and Bird.

I begrudge the time it took, and I don’t want any more comments from either of you on this thread.

95. We are encouraged to enter this not-a-competition on the strength of Ken Parish’s blush-making recommendation, back in a March Missing Link, of our post “Dear DIC“.

I thought I would highlight here in the intro a post which is my early favourite for Blog Post of the Year 2007. Its quite possibly the best piece of passionate, angry polemic Ive ever read, certainly on a blog. Roger Migently is roused to extraordinary heights of eloquence…

This is also easily our own favourite but we are also quite fond of several others including: “Its a Beautiful Thing. But Why?“, about the Golden Ratio, the Fibonacci sequence and beauty; and “The Nation That Hangs Together“, a bit of a diatribe against capital punishment shortly after the execution of Saddam Hussein.

As for other people’s, perhaps our favourite this year has been Ken L’s Lest We Forget at Surfdom, and many here at Club Troppo including just about anything by Fred Argy because he makes the difficult seem so simple.

96. Slim says:

As a relative new-comer to blogging with The Dog’s Bollocks I have been chuffed to have been picked up on more than a few occasions by the Club Troppo’s Missing Link crew. Not sure what you have in Missing Link archives so I’ll self-nominate these three posts.

The Culture War is Over

I don’t hate Howard – I despise his values

New skin – same old snake

I’ll trawl through Blogotariat to remind me of some of my favorite blog posts and get back to you.

97. Nabakov says:

Very sorry about that James. My inner booze-fueled beast took over. Won’t happen again here on this thread.

By way of apology, can I nominate this by Barista. It’s both an an excellent piece of writing in its own right and it also does what blog posts can do really – hyperlink you into the middle of a fascinating discussion that you had no idea was going until you read the first post in question.

And this thoughtful elegy on a dying craft that underpinned the growth of a literate and informed civilisation, literally letter by letter and word by word.

And finally, regardless of what anyone thinks of Graeme Bird, I think we’d all agree it would be a duller and smaller world without him.

98. David Rubie says:

I’d like to nominate the Ned the Bear cartoon about Julia Gillards’ hair.

Ned the bear gets polled

99. Kevin Rennie says:

Since my earlier self-nomination I’ve completed “The Poll That Counts” video series from Canberra and the Tallyroom on election day. Howard’s Last Innings: A Golden Pair is my favourite but for those who like to get even Bill Heffernan’s Payback is worth consideration.

100. gilmae says:

I assume the entry requirements for this non-contest are flexible enough to allow joint authorship across a number of cross-posted articles. If not, bah! A pox on your silly game.

101. I’m glad someone nominated that, Gummo – I suspect a certain journalist is overly fond of ego-searching, so Sarah and Gam wore it.

102. gandhi says:

What the hell. I’ll nominate my latest post, simply because of all the effort it took to get there.

103. gandhi says:

I’ll also nominate this post because a lot of people read it. And now you have to as well, because I nominated it! BWAA HA HA

104. gandhi says:

I’ll also nominate this post simply because a lot of people read it. And now you have to as well, because I nominated it! BWAA HA HA

105. Pingback: Best posts of 2007 « Penguin unearthed

106. swio says:

Can I second Richard Green @ 25 for the nomitation of

As soon as I finished reading it I felt it was the best thing I’d read all year and even after 6 weeks worth of election blogging that has not changed.

It took something that anyone could look at (Crosby-Textor polling), and then provided a depth of analysis that the MSM could not hope to match which shed a big bright light on the mysterious back end world of detailed politcal polling that is actually pretty important to how our country is run. Posts like this that open understanding and will never appear in the MSM are the reason I read blogs.

107. Glen Turner says:

I would like to submit Weatherall’s Law
    Although perhaps my nomination is a year too late.

108. Andrew Leigh says:

I’ll nominate the <a href=”″debate that the very sensible Andrew Norton has been having with some shyster from ANU.

109. Andrew Leigh says:

…a shyster who can’t even get his html right.

110. #1

Did this post change electoral history?:

Posted in original form at 6.26 am ‘Tokyo’ “KDT” time which is roughly the same as Sydney time via my US host server time clock, 19th August 2007, the day of this News Ltd breaking story. You will notice on the time stamp there were changes up to 9.31 am that morning. This might have been the addition of the photo of the front page press images, and maybe some sub editing of the language.

The post is the prequel to my usual weekly Sunday Political Talkies free to air tv talkies. I just happened to wake up very early that morning and bought the press in training for the official election campaign.

I don’t claim it’s beautiful writing. But I do claim its beautiful real politik analysis and very useful timing for the ALP (of which I am not a member) but also anyone who wanted a change.

It’s a matter of history that Kevin O7 appeared before Laurie Oaks some 3 hours later that same morning and ran with basically the same PR strategy outlined in my post. Grovel, wait for the increased vote. The key is the DLP family background in the post.

Interview: Kevin Rudd
    August 19, 2007

Maybe a coincidence but I doubt it. I hear these echoes coming back at me all the time in Mandarin (geddit?) whispers.

Peter Beattie was even heard in the middle of this time period my post to appearance on highest rating Oakes Sunday show (Insiders in fact at 9.00am) referring to ‘it won’t hurt Rudd, it will show he’s got blood in his veins’ line:

PETER BEATTIE: I’m a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit surprised but my attitude, Barrie, is – big deal! What I think it will do is enhance his vote, shows that he’s human. I think anybody who’s had a few drinks and gone off to a club of some kind, provided they’ve behaved appropriately, my attitude is: big deal. I mean, he’d be the last person on the planet to have had a few too many drinks occasionally. I mean I don’t see Kevin drinking too much at all to be frank. But so what if he’s had a few too many drinks? I’ve seen a journalist do that on national television. So I’m not particularly… I don’t think anyone should get too excited about all that. I think at the end of the day it shows he’s human, shows he’s normal. I think Australians will probably warm to him rather than take it as a critical view. As far as I’m concerned, and I read Glenn’s story this morning, I don’t see it as any big deal. In Queensland, which is a conservative State on those sorts of issue, and I’ve had my finger on the barometer about those sorts of things for a long, long time, I don’t think it will do him one bit of damage to be honest. All he needs to do is come out and honestly explain the lot of it.

The only problem is, of course, it’s a bit of a distraction, which means that it takes away a bit of oxygen when you’re trying to run other issues. That’s the only downside for it. Most Australians will say “Big deal” and move on. It shows that he’s human, shows he’s got blood in his veins. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having blood in your veins. I don’t think it will cost him anything at all, Barrie. Peter Beattie, thanks for your time this morning. Appreciate it.

Peter Beattie to Barry Cassidy Sunday August 19th Insiders show before Rudd runs the gauntlet with Laurie Oakes later that morning on 9?

We feel very proud of this post, and the rest as they say is history.

Tom McLoughlin, editor tel. 0410 558838

#2 This was also a highly popular post for me regarding Simpson (really Kirkpatrick) and his donkey in WW1 with a nugget of original Australian history in there sourced to a family friend in Sydney, Alf Rankin (an early effort thus lack of visuals and format style):

111. err, update of correct email address with this addition.

112. Being shameless, I nominate the following as my three best posts under 2000 words for 2007:

(1) “The Mother of All BBQ Stoppers” (;

(2) “Double jeopardy: double blow to victims” (;

(3) “Corporate solution to rape” (

113. Jane says:

Some posts from linguists working on Indigenous Australian languages

Hey Whitefella, wheres your country?
    by Joe Blythe, at Transient Languages and Cultures
    28 October, 2007

The Right Thing To Do? –
    Jenny Green, at Transient Languages and Cultures
    3 July, 2007

“We Dont Understand You”
    by Jangari, at matjjin-nehen
    June 9, 2007

Nagooka, Nooka and Ngukurr
    by Wamut, at That munanga linguist
    Saturday, February 17, 2007

Minbala bin basbas brein
    by Langguj Gel
    Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ngarla dude, or what to wear at this year’s native title consent determinations

114. Caroline says:

Blogging can be fun. Should be fun. There seems very little point in taking ourselves too seriously . . . It was especially fun for me when I found myself
    name-dropping with apparent impunity.

Boynton, (bless her cotton socks) offered to nominate something for me, suspecting I expect that modesty might prevent me from doing it for myself. And while that might normally be the case, so too, I couldn’t really think of anything I’d written this year which was worth suggesting. Then I remembered the above (linked) which at the least, was fun to do.

No doubt for the most esteemed panel of judges, (whoever you are), this is all proving a bit difficult–apples/oranges etc. Perhaps you need to devise a few categories?

115. Okay, I’ve finally got off my blot to nominate some posts… three of my own, and then three from other people. First up are three of my law-ish posts: (‘Azaria and the McCanns’) (‘Bastard Boys’) (‘Right to Silence’)

And three from other people: (‘Economic freedom and political freedom’)
    (A beautiful exercise in damning with faint praise)
    (An elegant dissection of literary Australia’s economic illiteracy) (‘The Lion and the Ostrich’)

116. I can’t count. One of those will have to be lopped – I don’t particularly care which ;)

117. James Farrell says:

Which one to drop? Dear me, I’m all at sixes and sevens.

How about I noiminate the second one from Andrew Norton myself.

118. One self-nomination:

Maybe not my best this year – I can’t be bothered going all the way back to January to check – but definitely a good ‘un.

119. Pingback: Nominate your favourite blog posts at Club Troppo at Hoyden About Town

120. I think one from Jason has already been nominated, so drop it if you like.

121. Fred Argy says:

Nicholas Gruen, for intellectual stimulation, why not your recent post on Remaking Australia? I also support Andrew Leigh’s suggestion.

122. kim says:

I would like to nominate “A letter to the neighbours” written by Kelley at

Magneto bold too

cheers kim

123. rabee says:

I nominate

Rudd becomes PM
    by HC

It put a smile on my face

124. boynton says:

Well, yes, I’ve loved reading Beelzebublog all year, and thought Caroline might have her own favourites to best represent her wonderful blogging style. I was tempted to make the token any post at beelzebublog gesture, as it’s the ufolding narrative of the everyday that matters.
    But alas, three is the limit so these are 3 that I remember:

Friday Horse Blogging

Handy Household Hints

Grass Farrier

125. Fred,

I can’t nominate ‘Remaking Australia’ because it’s a ‘repost’. I wrote it for Crikey – not as a blog post.

126. Slim says:

Some nominations for my favorite blog posts of 2007

Piping Shrike’s What a political crisis looks like

Peregrine’s Battle of The Ages

Unfortunately I can’t find the link from Possoms Pollytics but there was a post analysing leaked Crosby Textor data which showed that Labor had ownership of something like 6 of the 8 issues which would determine the election result. Anyone any ideas

127. Ingolf says:

Unfortunately, I didn’t keep track of the the many posts I enjoyed through the year. Foolish, really. I’ll make a point of doing so next time around.

The only one that immediately springs to mind is Barista’s lovely meandering, reflective piece in memory of Norman Mailer:

128. James Farrell says:

Already nominated, Ingolf, by the vandal Nabakov.

129. Slim (135), Swio nominated Possum’s excellent post back at 114. If he doesn’t get the gong for this, I hereby nominate him as a Living National Treasure, if only for his recent services in calming the panic-stricken left….

130. Ingolf says:

By God, you’re on the ball, James. Seems I’m in good company anyway.

131. Jacques Chester says:

It being 2am WA time, I am going to close the thread. Thanks everyone who contributed to this very impressive list of nominations. I don’t know whether to envy the judges or pity them!

132. Pingback: The Bartlett Diaries